Skip to main content

TOUR: Burden Falls by Kat Ellis

 

Burden Falls by Kat Ellis
Genre: Young Adult Horror
Publishing Date: August 24, 2021

Content Warnings: strong elements of horror; in particular, there is some gore (relating to blood and eyes), death of 2 parents, gaslighting , and several deaths/dead bodies on-page.

Riverdale meets Stephen King in the terrifying new thriller from the author of Harrow Lake.

The town of Burden Falls drips with superstition, from rumors of its cursed waterfall to Dead-Eyed Sadie, the disturbing specter who haunts it. Ava Thorn grew up right beside the falls, and since a horrific accident killed her parents a year ago, she’s been plagued by nightmares in which Sadie comes calling—nightmares so chilling, Ava feels as if she’ll never wake up. But when someone close to Ava is brutally murdered and she’s the primary suspect, she begins to wonder if the stories might be more than legends—and if the ghost haunting her dreams might be terrifyingly real. Whatever secrets Burden Falls is hiding, there’s a killer on the loose . . . with a vendetta against the Thorns.

 Goodreads Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository Indigo IndieBound

MY REVIEW 

I literally loved this so much! This book really got me back into the reading mood and I couldn’t put it down! The pacing was incredibly suspenseful and building, with slow burn horror. I loved the rival legacy families and learning all the history. The author was very thorough in laying out the foundations and connections to the legends of the town and how it connected to all the characters in the present. 


I really liked the writing style too, the narrations from Ava felt very visceral and visual. Her artsy personality really helped portray the atmosphere and suspense. I didn’t think the mystery elements were predictable and I was really shocked and satisfied by the twists and turns the story took. 


I loved the characters and how many detailed side characters there were that actually played important roles in unraveling the murder plot. The romance in this book is definitely a side plot but I still adored their dynamic. Their chemistry felt so well balanced with mutual understanding of grief and the typical natural development. No offense but Dominic Miller is just so !!!!!!!!! *sighs dramatically*


I really can’t think of any negative thoughts about this book. I am not typically drawn to the more paranormal based mystery/horror novels but this one has the perfect amount of it in my opinion. This is perfect for people who may not like to read super scary books as it was mostly suspenseful. I really recommend this one!


FAVORITE QUOTES 

"The manor echoes as I walk along its hallways. It sounds like a tomb— and I would know."


"There are no ghosts here, even if I sometimes wish there were."

JOURNAL



About the Author:



Kat Ellis is the author of young adult novelsHarrow Lake,Purge,Breaker, andBlackfin Sky,as well as a novella within theThreeStrikescollection titledThe Twins of Blackfin.Katstudied English with Creative Writing at Manchester Metropolitan University, then spent several years working in local government communications and IT.When she is not writing, Kat can usually be found exploring ruins and cemeteries with her camera. She isan active blogger, instagrammerand tweeter, and isrepresented by Molly Ker Hawn atThe Bent Agency

Website Twitter Instagram  Goodreads  Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOUR: Six Truths and a Lie by Ream Shukairy

Six Truths and a Lie by Ream Shukairy Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Publishing Date: March 14, 2024 Synopsis: Six Muslim teens are falsely accused of a deadly attack in this timely and harrowing examination of Americas justice system, perfect for fans of Angie Thomas and Samira Ahmed. As fireworks pop at a rowdy Fourth of July bonfire party, an explosion off the California coast levels an oil rig and a beach town is left reeling from the aftermath of tragedy. At the center are six Muslim teens. An old soul stuck in a modern world. An aspiring doctor caught in the wrong place. An influencer with a reputation to protect. A perfect daughter with secrets. A soccer star headed for Stanford. An immigrant in love. Six strangers with something to hide and everything to lose. Faced with accusations of terrorism, the Six are caught in a political game that will pit them against one another. As police investigate what really happened that night, which secrets will be worth the cost of freedom? ...

Book Haul!

     I have collected quite a few books recently and have been dying to share!    In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken - This book is the third and final book in the Darkest Minds trilogy. It follows Ruby and the friends she makes along her journey. The children in the world have been affected by a disease giving them one of the powers below, which are categorized by colors.       1. Greens- Intellengence       2. Blues- telekinesis       3. Yellows- electricity       4. Oranges- mind control       5. Reds- fire             The unaffected adults have put the kids in basically what are concentration camps. Ruby escapes with the help of a friendly adult and meets people along the way of trying to find the cure and free the camps. She faces plenty of difficulties along the way. It has one of the best r...

REVIEW: Dry by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman

This story follows the devastating consequences of climate change through a fictional but chillingly realistic severe drought in Southern California that turns neighbors against one another and our always growing cast of characters are forced to do whatever it takes to survive when the taps run dry.  I enjoyed this story especially as a low commitment stand alone with a gripping plot. I enjoyed how the various characters were built into the story, but never became too hard to keep track. I didn’t particularly adore any of the main characters and I’m sorry but I just kept picturing Kelton as an older version of the annoying kid from Polar Express but luckily I really liked his (much needed) character growth. I still found myself crying a little at the end scenes so clearly they got me invested in the end. It felt pretty realistic (sadly) and a true representation of the darkness inside humanity that we’ve seen glimpses of lately. I actually had to go get myself some water while read...