Skip to main content

Review: This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp


This Is Where It End by Marike Nijkamp
Sourcebooks Fire
Young Adult, Contemporary
E-Arc
Source: Publisher


10:00 a.m.The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.10:02 a.m.The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.10:03The auditorium doors won't open.10:05 a m. Someone starts shooting.Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.





I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange of an honest review. This in no way affects my review.


I am an American high school student, and school shootings are a terrifying reality. We practice drills are told what to do if this ever happened to us, but no one is ever really prepared. No one ever believes it will happen until sadly, it does. I feel like the subject this book talks about is very important and should be talked about more. Although, this books did not really work the subject as well as it had the opportunity to.

The is book takes place over 54 minutes. Yes, just 54 minutes. We get the POV of many students during this short span. And unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it. I found the characters to be somewhat repetitive in the sense that I got multiple characters feelings and opinions in just what was suppose to be a three minute span. I understand that the author was probably trying to express how every person will react to the same problem, but it didn't work for me. 

This book really had potential and it was interesting enough, as well as fast paced. The only way to connect with our vast amount of characters, was through flashbacks which again, did not work for me. But I have to say, my least favorite thing about the novel was the shooter. I dislikes the way he was portrayed and I don't actual understand him or his motivation even now. 

 I am a very moody reader in the sense that I have to be in the mood for a book to even want to glance at it. I was in the mood to read about this topic, and well, it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Overall, I'm not upset that I pushed through this book as it did provide some insight on the controversial topic. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOUR: Sunkissed by Kasie West (Review + Book Look)

  Sunkissed by  Kasie West Genre:  Young Adult Contemporary Publishing Date:  May 4, 2021 A lighthearted and swoony contemporary YA romance by fan - favorite author Kasie West about a  girl who finds that a summer spent at a family resort  isn’t as bad as she imagined...and that falling  in love is filled with heartache, laughter, and surprises! After being betrayed by her best friend, Avery is hoping for a picture - perfect summer. Too bad her  parents have dragged her and her sister to a remote family camp for the entire summer. And that’s  not even the worst part. Avery also has to deal with no internet, a cute but off - limits staff member,  and an always - in - her - face sister. But what starts as a disaster turns into a whirlwind summer romance as A very embarks on an  unexpected journey to figure out what she truly wants and who she wants to be.  | Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository | Indigo | IndieBound | MY BOOK LOOK MY REVIEW What it's about:   

REVIEW: Unchosen by Katharyn Blair

  PLOT:  Charlotte thought her childhood crush, Dean, falling in love with her older sister was the end of her world, until the real end came with the Crimson, a curse that is spread though eye contact, transforming humans into monsters. Her older sister in now the Commander of their settlement, while her younger sister, Vanessa, is the Chosen One— the one destined to end the curse, meaning Charlotte is still stuck in their shadows. When they are raided, Charlotte declares herself the Chosen One in order to save her sisters, and she must keep up her lie if she wants to keep them and Dean safe, and better yet, stay alive herslef. This Is her chance to define her own destiny and try to save thee world.   MY THOUGHTS: If I had to describe this book in one word it would be captivating. I have never read anything quite like it. The concept, the most unique twist on a zombie-like-apocalypse (emphasis on like) I’ve ever encountered, was amazing! Sea captains, curses, action, romance, morally

August TBR!

     I cant believe August is here already! Back-to-school season is here and that means summer is coming to an end. The start of a new month also means a new pile of books that I want to read. August has some very worthy books, so lets get started! #1 Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins ( Anna and the French Kiss #3)      Let's face it! This is on everyone's TBR. This is the third book in the series. Stephanie Perkins novels are the perfect mourning period read. I recommend you start the series ASAP! This book will hit shelves August 14th. #2 Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout ( Lux series #5)       I am reading the fourth book in this series and boy am I loving it! This series is fast-paced and the characters are swoon worthy! Its never to late to begin especially with the new fancy covers! This book will be available August 5th. #3 Magnolia by Kristie Cook       In Magnolia Branch, Mississippi the Cafferty and Marsden families are the